Print this page Email this page
Users Online: 37
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2014  |  Volume : 4  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 104-107

Surgical procedures in obstetrics and gynecology department of a teaching hospital in northern Nigeria: A 5 year review


1 Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria
2 Department of Anesthesiology, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria
3 Department of Community Medicine, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Idris S Abubakar
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, PMB 3452, Kano
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/2278-9596.143088

Rights and Permissions

Background: Surgical procedures in obstetrics and gynecology have witnessed significant improvements in terms of morbidity and mortality. This is not unrelated to advancement in asepsis and anesthesia over the years. This study aimed at describing the pattern of surgical procedures in obstetrics and gynecology at a tertiary health center in Northern Nigeria. Patients and Methods: This is a retrospective study of patients who had surgical procedures in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Nigeria from 1 st January, 2005 to 31 st December 2009. The data retrieved from their case notes were analyzed using Mini Tab Electronic Statistical Software. Information extracted were age, type of surgery and anesthesia used. The data analyzed were presented using simple tables. X 2 and P value were used to test for significant statistical associations where appropriate. Results: A total of 2741 operations were done within the period under review. The mean age of the patients was 29.95 ± 8.26 years. Emergency surgeries were performed in1643 (59.9%) patients while the remaining 1098 (40.1%) were elective. General anesthesia was used for the majority 2093 (76.4%) of the cases. Cesarean section accounted for the majority (62.6%) of the procedures performed. Other surgeries include myomectomy (4.2%), total abdominal hysterectomy (4.7%), and andlaparotomy (9.3%) among others. Obstetric cases accounted for 1510 (55.1%) of the surgeries conducted while 1231 (44.9%) were gynecological cases. Conclusion: Most of the procedures were emergency obstetric surgeries performed under general anesthetic. Caesarean section rate was highest among all surgical procedures. There was statistically significant association between the type of surgery and the administered form of anesthesia.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2121    
    Printed33    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded142    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal